The State Reporter position at TAI is responsible for contributing consistent, accurate and mission-aligned reporting to TAI’s various news properties. This is a local political reporting position in the state of Montana. We are looking for a seasoned politics reporter with a good pulse on the ins and outs of Montana politics, policies, and people. We are especially interested in reporters who concentrate on policies around economics, healthcare, and infrastructure, making these issue areas accessible to a wide audience. Working closely with editorial leadership, this reporter should pitch story ideas about state politics as well as be available for and responsive to other assignments as needed. We will prioritize reporters living in Montana.
- Pitch fresh angles on reported news of the day as related to Montana politics, especially policies around economics, healthcare, and infrastructure
- Collaborate with editors and other writers to brainstorm, pitch, and produce originally reported stories.
- Pick up and expand on story pitches from outside sources and as assigned by editors.
- Be able to quickly and cleanly write stories that are accurate, well-sourced and fact-checked.
- Track news developments in real time and share with the editorial team as needed.
- Cultivate a network of sources within American/Montana politics and progressive issue advocacy.
- Meet daily, monthly, and quarterly deadlines and content output goals.
- Collaborate with other team members as needed.
- 4+ years of experience in journalism, reporting, writing or other related field or a B.S. or B.A. in journalism.
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Excellent understanding of national politics, local politics, and campaigns at both the federal and the state level with an emphasis on economics, health care, and infrastructure in WI.
- Established sources and experience reporting on Montana politics
- Ability to travel across the state to cover stories all over Montana
- Solid news judgment.
- Communicative, engaged, and eager to take initiative.
- Capable of managing multiple priorities simultaneously. Able to adjust priorities and/or story focus quickly as the news shifts.
- Organized, detail-oriented.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with AP style are a major plus.
- Ability to work well with others in a virtual workspace.
SALARY RANGE: $5,000 – $6,000 per month
EMPLOYMENT TERM: This is a limited-term position beginning February 2024 through November 2024 with the possibility of extension.
TO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to [email protected]
ABOUT THE AMERICAN INDEPENDENT:
The American Independent is a progressive daily news platform. We cover presidential politics, state politics as well as the House of Representatives, the Senate and the Supreme Court. Our reporters focus on crucial issue areas such as gun safety, LGBTQIA+ rights, education, health care, the economy, voting rights, and reproductive rights. Our goal is to make political news accessible to everyone. We aim to take complex policies, political jargon, and issue areas and make them easy to understand. We do all of this while reporting with integrity and honesty.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/DIVERSITY POLICY:
The American Independent is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures, and we strongly encourage applicants from communities underrepresented in the media, including women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, and members of religious minorities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran status, or medical condition.